From Thuppakki’s "I Am Waiting" (2012) to Jananayagan’s "I Am Coming" (2026): My14-Year hiatus, 18-Km E-Bike Pilgrimage to Witness Vijay’s Political Masterclass



There is a distinct, electric hum that only a Chennai theater during a major release can produce. It’s a mix of raw anticipation, the scent of popcorn clashing with the ECR sea breeze, and the shared heartbeat of thousands of fans waiting for the lights to dim.

For nearly fourteen years, this was a world I only visited in memory. My journey took me far from these silver screens—from the intense academic corridors of completing my PhD at IIM Indore to professional stints across the map. The ritual of the first-week Chennai cinema experience was put on a shelf.

Until Jananayagan called me back, forcing a head-on collision between my personal past and Tamil cinema's historic present.

The ECR Pilgrimage to Seat J3

The journey started 18 kilometers away. Armed with my trusty e-bicycle, I took to the East Coast Road, heading toward PVR Heritage. Navigating an 18-km stretch of Chennai traffic to catch a blockbuster might sound unconventional, but as the pedals whirred, it felt like shedding years of academic gravity.

Arriving at the complex, it was chaotic brilliance. Alternate parking arrangements were being scrambled for the massive rush, yet miraculously, I scored a perfect, safe spot inside the main complex. 

But the real reminder of how high-stakes this release was happened right at the entry gate.

Because this was a true "ECR pilgrimage" where I had geared up for a long ride, I was wearing my smart Meta-like glasses. The theater security authorities stopped me during the scan. With anti-piracy measures at an all-time high for a film this massive, they firmly but politely informed me that smart glasses weren't permitted inside the hall and asked me to store them in the baggage area. I politely obliged, realising that to truly experience this mass phenomenon, I had to unplug completely from the digital world and view it with just my own two eyes.

And the luck didn’t stop there. In a completely sold-out house, I found myself in Seat J3—the top-most, privileged back row. It was the perfect vantage point, not just to watch a movie, but to witness a full-circle cultural moment.


The Film: A Classic Masala with a Tech Upgrade

On paper, Jananayagan delivers the quintessential masala story: a hero fighting terror to protect the innocent. But on screen, it elegantly elevates the formula for modern times.

The action sequences are a brilliant blend of mass appeal and modern tech. The standout moments for me were the incredibly choreographed, tech-savvy RC fights utilizing drone attacks—a refreshing, high-tech twist to the standard cinematic fistfight.

But the true heart of the film lies in its emotional core. The dynamics between Vijay and his step-daughter(very well played by Mamitha) is the undeniable anchor of the movie. In fact, she easily outplays the actual heroine, bringing a depth to the screen that makes the stakes feel incredibly real. When Vijay arrives in a signature, meticulously framed hero-entry shot to save her, the theatre rightfully erupted before intermission

The Making of a Leader

Jananayagan isn't just about good versus evil. It presents a nuanced villain( another good performance by  Bobby Deol) who isn't inherently bad but is twisted by a profoundly corrupt system. The ultimate takeaway—that people at their core aren't bad—is the precise catalyst that transforms our protagonist into the true Jananayagan (Leader of the People).

And let’s talk about the man himself. At his age, Vijay’s screen presence remains completely undiluted, and his dance movements are as sharp, fluid, and effortless as ever.

The Decalogue of Change: "I Am Coming"

Sitting in Row J3, watching the crowd react, it became clear that this wasn't just a movie; it was a transition. It serves as a beautiful, fitting farewell to the actor we’ve celebrated as Ilaya Thalapathy, and a massive, cinematic welcome to the Ilaya Jananayagan CM.

Way back in 2012, in the iconic blockbuster Thuppakki, Vijay gave us the legendary, cold punchline that defined a generation of his cinema: "I am waiting." For fourteen years, fans played that waiting game, watching him dominate the box office while hinting at bigger things.


In Jananayagan, the wait is officially over. He completely flips the script with a powerful, era-defining evolution: "I am coming."


One Last Dance: The End-Credits Goodbye

But the absolute emotional crescendo of the experience happened when the narrative ended and the screen went black. Unlike standard commercial cinema where crowds immediately rush for the exits, the entire auditorium at PVR Heritage stood frozen. Nobody moved.

As the credits began to roll, the screen lit up with an unexpected, deeply moving post-credit farewell montage. Set to a powerful, nostalgic score by Anirudh Ravichander, the film gifted us a beautiful retrospective of Vijay’s iconic three-decade journey in Tamil cinema. We watched a kaleidoscope of classic movie clips—the early struggles, the era-defining blockbusters, the signature steps, and the legendary punchlines that transformed a young actor into a box-office titan.

Seeing those nostalgic clips flash before me up there from Row J3, it felt like my own last 13 years of academic and professional life were flashing by right alongside them. The entire theater erupted into a mix of roaring cheers and quiet emotional tears. It wasn't a tease for a sequel; it was a pure, unadulterated thank-you note to the fans.

As I collected my smart glasses, unlocked my e-bike, and began the 18-kilometer ride back home along the ECR, the sound of Anirudh's tribute score was still ringing in my ears  and with the sound of the cheering crowd still ringing in my ears, I realized something. I had waited 13 years for a Chennai theater experience like this—and watching the waiting game transform into a political reality was worth every single kilometer.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day Carved in My Heart: Attending My Dad’s PhD Thesis Seminar At Presidency College Chennai.

An Innovative Solution to avoid long times at Road Crossings-WASS(WALK ACROSS SIGNALS SAFELY)- Making Pedestrian King of Cross Roads

Experiences from my first Interview with AI BOT - It is going to be Here and not a Fad : Why Tina’s Nudge Was Better Than Any Human's Judging Stare